Mountains and Sea:
• 7 nights accommodation, 6 nights at Agios Nikolaos and 1 Gerolimenas
• Transfer when necessary to start and end of our walks by taxi or bus
• 5 days of stunning walking in the Taygetus Mountains, gorges, historic hilltop villages and coast, 3 1/2 – 6 hours a day
• 1 day free to explore, enjoy other activities or just relax
• 5 taverna or picnic lunches
• 6 breakfasts
• 2 evening meals
• Swimming on uncrowded breaches
• Amazing scenery, castles, forts and churches
• Delicious food with plenty of options for vegetarians
Route Summary options:
Dates, Costs, Booking
Our 2021 walks will run from 10-17 April and 9-16 October 2021. For further details jump to options below →
This week is a must for those wanting an active two center-based walking holiday yet a relaxing week dipping into other activities that the area offers. Our main base will be Agios Nikolaos, a picturesque fishing village in the Outer Mani and one night at the harbour village of Gerolimenas to the south situated under the bluff of the spectacular Cavo Grosso. We stay at family hotels, tavernas or rooms where you have your own room with ensuite facilities. The Mani’s charm is it remains largely undeveloped, so accommodation is small, simple and rustic accompanied by wonderful Greek hospitality. If required, we can arrange pick up from Kalamata or Athens Airports and drop off at the end of your holiday.
Kerry and Julie will meet you at Agios Nikolaos and accompany you on your walks. After breakfast together we will spend our days walking in the mountains, hilltop villages and coast taking taxis/bus where necessary to start off points or ferried home at the end of our day. There are many walks in the area and we have chosen those that we particularly enjoy – the itinerary below may change due to the weather and path conditions, the walks confirmed during your holiday with us. At the end of the day there is plenty of opportunity to swim, join a local yoga class, cycle, go horse riding or take a photography or Greek language session – or just contemplate the sunset.
Our walks will not exceed 1,500 meters combining easy and moderate days suitable for anyone of reasonable fitness. Paths vary from tracks, narrow paths, kalderimi (mule tracks) and very occasional scrambling. Walking in the Mani was once the only mode of transport but now paths are only used by shepherds and a few intrepid walkers. Many are unmarked, the quality variable, can be uneven and in a few places become overgrown. Walking poles and boots are recommended as are long trousers and a long-sleeved shirt (or at least carry them in your day pack). Morning start time will vary depending upon the weather as some stretches can be exposed.
Itinerary, Mountains and Sea:
Where possible we stay at locally run family accommodation either bed and breakfast, apartments or rooms. The rooms are simple, clean and comfortable mostly with ensuite toilet and shower. Frequently accommodation has several rooms only so we have kept groups small, but it may be necessary to stay at different places although only minutes away from each other.
Accommodation booked will depend upon group size and availability so a selection of accommodation we use is set out below. Rooms are nonsmoking although it is often permitted to smoke on the balconies. We have breakfast at the guest house or at a local café.
The following is a selection of accommodation we use at Agios Nikolaos and Gerolimenas:
- Check the walk is available.
- Find a suitable flight. We can give you advice but do not book flights until you have received confirmation by us about the availability of your walk.
- You need to check with the Greek consulate what visas are required. Those living in the EUA do not require a visa.
- Pay a deposit or entire amount via PayPal, cheque or bank transfer. No added charges are made for transactions and payments (both deposit and balance) when made in GBP by UK customers. For non UK customers we will charge 3%. If you pay a deposit, the balance is required 6 weeks before the commencement of the walk.
- As part of your booking conditions we require you to have travel insurance to cover assistance including full medical treatment and repatriation in the event of accident, illness or death. This should be in place before you travel and we will require details. We also recommend that you obtain cover against cancellation in addition to any at risk activities. Flights and/or other arrangements will be made by you. It is important that you check with your insurer that you have the correct insurance.
- We recommend you obtain a European reciprocal health card that is valid in Greece. If you have a ERIC card please check it is still valid. An ERIC can be obtained online.
- If you are unable to book your travel because flight schedules have not yet been published, you may confirm (and pay your deposit) subject to a satisfactory flight being available. In these circumstances only, your deposit is fully refundable up to 6 weeks prior to the start date.
- We will send you confirmation.
- We have set out how to get to the start of the walks at our FAQs on our home page. If you need any help travelling to and from Kalamata or Athens or you need advice, please contact. us. We can help to hire a car, arrange a car to collect you or provide public transport details
- Financial Protection: We have insurance with Towergate Travel through Zurich Insurance PLC that provides financial protection should we go into liquidation after you have paid us but before you have taken your holiday. See our terms and conditions.