Walk 1: Discover the Mani
- 7 nights accompanied hotel to hotel
- Transport to and from walking destinations where necessary by taxi.
- 1 bus ride Stavri to Gerolimenas
- Walking 6 days; 6 – 3.5 hours a day
- Optional free evenings
- Small group.
- Minimum 3, maximum 10 people
- Luggage transported, maximum 15kgs
- Storage at Agios Nikolaos for any additional luggage
- 6 breakfasts
- 2 picnic lunches
- 4 lunches at a taverna
- 2 evening meals
- Sensational terrain and stunning views
- Gorge walks
- Mountain walks
- Coastal walks
- Swimming on uncrowded beaches
- Hill top villages
- Transport from Kardimilyi to Geroliminas and Gerolimenas to Agios Nikolaos.
Route Summary and Itinerary:
Dates, Costs, Booking:
Our spring walk will run 17-24 April 2021. Our autumn walk will run from 2-9 October 2021. For further details jump to options below →
Our journey takes us from the picturesque fishing village of Agios Nikolaos ascending to the base of the mountains through charming villages until we reach Kastania with its five story tower and many Byzantine churches, where we stay the night and enjoy our first evening meal together at a local taverna. We continue up over the mountain descending to Exohori that overlooks the breathtaking Viros Gorge and the following day descend via an upper path taking in stunning views to the beautiful village of Kardimyli on the coast with its excellent restaurants, bars and cafes and beaches. Here you can enjoy a well earned swim and restful afternoon exploring the historic village. The next day, a taxi will take us to Stavri in the Deep Mani where we will explore Cape Tigani, the ruins of the Frankish castle of Grand Magne, Church of Odigitraea and salt pans. We take a short bus ride to Gerolimenas, a small harbour village lying below the bluff of the Cavo Grosso with its small beach and several bars and taverns, where we will stay for two nights. From here we explore the mountains, historic villages, and the Cavo Grosso, stunning views of the Mediterranean Sea and peninsula frequently a backdrop to our walks. After our last walk, we will return to Agios Nikolaos to enjoy a meal together. The itinerary may change depending on weather conditions.
Kerry and Julie will meet you at Agios Nikolaos and accompany you on your trip. We stay at family hotels, tavernas or rooms where you will have your own room with en-suite facilities. The exceptions is Kastania and Exochori where accommodation is limited and solo travellers may have to share an en-suite room. The Mani’s charm is it remains largely underdeveloped so accommodation is small, simple and rustic but always accompanied by wonderful Greek hospitality. Our walks will not exceed 1,500 meters combining easy and moderate days suitable for anyone of reasonable fitness. Paths vary from tracks, narrow paths, kalderimi (mule trails) and very occasional scrambling. Walking in the Mani was once the only mode of transport now paths are only used by shepherds and a few intrepid walker. Many are unmarked, the quality variable, can be uneven and in a few places become overgrown. Walking poles and boots are recommended as are long trousers and a long sleeved shirt (or at least carry them in your day pack). Morning start time will vary depending upon the weather as some stretches can be exposed. If required, we can arrange pick up and collection from Kalamata or Athens Airports.
Discover the Mani, itinerary:
Where possible we stay at locally run family accommodation either bed and breakfast, apartments and in remoter locations rooms. The rooms are simple clean and comfortable mostly with en suite toilet and shower. Frequently accommodation has several rooms only so we have kept walking groups small but it may be necessary, in certain villages, to stay at different places although only minutes away from each other.
In Kastania and Exochori there is only one place to stay and on those nights, solo travellers may have to share a twin room. Accommodation booked will depend on group size and availability so a selection of accommodation we use is set out below. Delicious mountain drinking water in many villages is obtain from piped taps and in some villages, such as Kardimyli, piped into homes. Otherwise bottled water is recommended. Rooms are non smoking although it is often permitted to smoke on the balconies. We will have breakfast at our guest house or at a local cafe. The following is a selection of accommodation we use:
Before you book or reserve flights drop Julie a line to reserve a place or ask her to answer any of your queries. Our spring walk will run from 17-24 April 2021 and autumn walk 2-9 October 2021. On enquiring please state the date for your chosen trip.
- Check the walk is available.
- Find a suitable flight. We can give you advice but do not book flights until you have received confirmation by us about the availability of your walk.
- You need to check with the Greek consulate what visas are required. Those living in the EUA do not require a visa.
- Pay a deposit or entire amount via PayPal, cheque or bank transfer. No added charges are made for transactions and payments (both deposit and balance) when made in GBP by UK customers. For non UK customers we will charge 3%. If you pay a deposit, the balance is required 6 weeks before the commencement of the walk.
- As part of your booking conditions we require you to have travel insurance to cover assistance including full medical treatment and repatriation in the event of accident, illness or death. This should be in place before you travel and we will require details. We also recommend that you obtain cover against cancellation in addition to any at risk activities. Flights and/or other arrangements will be made by you. It is important that you check with your insurer that you have the correct insurance.
- We recommend you obtain a European reciprocal health card that is valid in Greece. If you have a ERIC card please check it is still valid. An ERIC can be obtained online.
- If you are unable to book your travel because flight schedules have not yet been published, you may confirm (and pay your deposit) subject to a satisfactory flight being available. In these circumstances only, your deposit is fully refundable up to 6 weeks prior to the start date
- We will send you confirmation
- We have set out how to get to the start of the walks at our FAQs on our home page. If you need any help travelling to and from Kalamata or Athens or you need advice, please contact. us. We can help to hire a car, arrange a car to collect you or provide public transport details.
- Financial Protection: We have insurance with Towergate Travel through Zurich Insurance PLC that provides financial protection should we go into liquidation after you have paid us but before you have taken your holiday. See our terms and conditions